Eligible Registrants

If you purchase an aircraft, you must apply for a Certificate of Aircraft Registration from the Civil Aviation Registry before it may be operated. Do not depend on a bank, loan company, aircraft dealer, or anyone else to submit the application for registration. Do it yourself (in the name of the owner, not in the name of the bank or other mortgage holder). You can help make sure your aircraft is properly registered by verifying that the aircraft description entered on the Aircraft Registration Application and Aircraft Bill of Sale (or equivalent) is identical to the data inscribed on the aircraft manufacturer's data plate.

The data plate is permanently affixed to the aircraft fuselage by lhe manufacturer. This quick and simple check should help avoid delays in the issuance of the AC Form 8050-3, Certificate of Aircraft Registration. An aircraft is eligible for registration in the United States only if it is owned by  a United States citizen. A U.S. citizen by definition of FAR Section 47.2 can be an individual, or partnership where each individual is a U.S. citizen, or a corporation organized under the laws of the United States, State, Territory or possession of the United States of which the president and two-thirds of the board of directors are U.S. citizens and 75 percent of the voting interest is owned or controlled by U.S. citizens or


1. A resident alien;

2. A corporation (other than classified as a U.S. citizen), lawfully organized and doing business under the laws of the United States or of any state thereof, if the aircraft is based and used primarily in the United States; or

3. A government entity (federal, state, or local).

The aircraft may not be registered in a foreign country during the period it is registered in the United States.

Aircraft Previously Registered in the United States

You should immediately submit evidence of ownership, an Aircraft Registration Application, and a $5 registration fee to the Federal Aviation Administration, Civil Aviation Registry, AI~'S-75U, Mike Monroney Aeronautical Center, P.O. Box 25504, Oklahoma City, OK 73125. Fees required for aircraft registration may be paid by check or money order made payable to the Treasury of the United States.

A bill of sale form that meets the FAA's requirements for evidence of ownership is AC Form 8050-2, Aircraft Bill of Sale, which may be obtained from the nearest FSDO. The form includes an information and instruction sheet. If a conditional sales contract is the evidence of ownership, an additional $5 fee is required for recording. For FAA registration, the bill of sale need not be notarized. (Refer to figure 1, page 9.)

The Aircraft Registration Application includes an information and instruction sheet. Submit the white and green copies to the Civil Aviation Registry; keep the pink copy in your aircraft as evidence of application for registration until you receive your Certificate of Aircraft Registration. The pink copy is good for 90 days and is only legal in the United States. If you plan to operate the aircraft out of the United States, you need to contact Civil Aviation Registry (405 954-31 16) and obtain by fax a temporary authority. Registration certificates are issued to the person whose name is on the application. (Refer to figure 2, page 10.)

If there is a break in the chain of ownership of the aircraft, i.e., if it is not being purchased from the last registered owner, you are required to submit conveyances to complete the chain of ownership, through all intervening owners, including yourself, to the Civil Aviation Registry.

The Aircraft Registration Application may also be used to report a change of address by the aircraft owner. The FAA issues a revised certificate at no charge. If the certificate is lost, destroyed, or mutilated, a replacement certificate may be obtained at the written request of the holder. Send the request and $2 (check or money order payable to the Treasury of the United States) to:

Federal Aviation Administration Civil Aviation Registry, AFS-750 P.O. Box 25504

Oklahoma City, OK 73125

The request should describe the aircraft by make, model, serial number, and registration number. If operation of the aircraft is necessary before receipt of the duplicate certificate, the Civil Aviation Registry may, if requested, send temporary authority by fax. Include in your request your full address, fax number, and a telephone number where you can be reached.

Aircraft Previously Registered in a Foreign Country

If you are contemplating purchasing an aircraft registered in a foreign country, contact the local FSDO for certification assistance and the Civil Aviation Registry at (405) 954-3116 for

registration assistance.

Certificate of Aircraft Registration

A Certificate of Aircraft Registration should be in the aircraft before an Airworthiness Certificate can be issued. (Refer to figure 3, page 12.) The Certificate of Aircraft Registration becomes invalid, as described in FAR Section 47.41 when:

1 . The aircraft becomes registered under the laws of a foreign country;

2. The registration of the aircraft is canceled at the written request of the holder of the certificate;

3. The aircraft is totally destroyed or scrapped;

4. The holder of the certificate loses his or her U.S. citizenship or status as an alien without becoming a U.S. citizen;

5. The ownership of the aircraft is transferred; or

6. Thirty days have elapsed since the death of the holder of the certificate.

When an aircraft is destroyed, scrapped, or sold, the owner shall notify the FAA by filling in the back of the Certificate of Aircraft Registration and mailing it to:

Federal Aviation Administration Civil Aviation Registry, AFS-750 P.O. Box 25504

Oklahoma City, OK 73125

The U.S. registration and nationality marking should be removed from an aircraft before it is delivered to a purchaser who is not eligible to register it in the United States. The endorsed Certificate of Aircraft Registration should be forwarded to the Civil Aviation Registry.

A dealer's aircraft registration certificate is another form of registration. It is valid only for flights within the United States by the manufacturer or a dealer for flight testing or demonstration for sale. It should be removed by the dealer when the aircraft is sold.

The certificate of registration serves as conclusive evidence of nationality but is not a title and is not evidence of ownership in any proceeding in which ownership is at issue.

Special Registration Number (N Number)

A U.S. identification number of your choice may be reserved, if available. This number may not exceed five characters in addition to the prefix letter "N." All of the five characters may be numbers (N11111) or four numbers and one suffix letter (N1000A) or one to three numbers and or two suffix letters (NlOOAA) may be used.

In your written request, list up to five numbers in order of preference in the event the first choice is not available; also include a $10 fee. If your request is approved, you are notified that the number has been reserved for I year. You are also informed that this reservation may be extended on a yearly basis for a $10 renewal fee.

When you are ready to place the number on your aircraft, you should request permission by forwarding a complete description of the aircraft to the Civil Aviation Registry. Permission to place the special number on your aircraft is given on AC Form 8050-64, Assignment of Special Registration Numbers. When the number is placed on your aircraft, sign and return the original to the Civil Aviation Registry within 5 days. (Refer to figure 4, page 15.)

The duplicate of AC Form 8050-64, together with your Airworthiness Certificate, should be presented to an Aviation Safety Inspector within 10 days from placing the new registration number on your aircraft. The inspector will issue a revised Airworthiness Certificate showing the new registration number. The old registration certificate and the duplicate AC Form 8050-64

Registration of Amateur-Built Aircraft

AC Form 8050-88, Identification Number Assignment and Registration of Amateur-Built Aircraft, is used by the Civil Aviation Registry to nullify you of action taken on your application for registration of amateur-built aircraft. The reverse side of AC Form 8050-88 is an Affidavit of Ownership for an amateur-built aircraft. Complete the reverse side of AC Form 8050-88 when applying for registration of an amateur-built aircraft. You may designate an aircraft serial number of your choice at this time. This becomes the official aircraft serial number. (Refer to figure 5, page 16.) Submit AC Form 8050-88 along with AC Form 8050-1 to register your aircraft. If you have not reserved a special N number, the Civil Aviation Registry assigns a number at this time.

Additional Information

FAR Part 47 specifies the requirement for registering aircraft. For information concerning FAR Part 47 or any circumstances not discussed herein, contact the Federal Aviation Administration, Civil Aviation Registry, AFS-7S0, P.O. Box 25504, Oklahoma City, OK 73125. Telephone (405) 954-3 I 16 for registration information and (405) 954-4206 for N-Number information.

State registration of aircraft is required in approximately 60 percent of the states. Check for your state's requirement.
 ?AvStop Online Magazine                                                                                                                 Contact Us              Return To Technical Stories Of Interest

AvStop Aviation News and Resource Online Magazine

Grab this Headline Animator